This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure statement for more details.
I’m going to be part of a great new feature on $5 Dinners, which is a great website for cheap dinners. Erin is trying to help us all save money but having people find great $5 meals from various grocery weekly ads. She will run a weekly post with links to everyone’s posts about how to find great ingredients for a good price at your local grocery store(s). My store is going to be Publix.
So here’s your first taste! These prices are good at Publix (at least in the Nashville area) 2/4 to 2/10.
1 5-lb bag baking potatoes ($1.99)
1 can Bush’s homestyle chili (15 oz.) ($1.50)
1 bag Publix shredded cheddar ($2)
This delicious-looking recipe is from Ezrapoundcake.
Twice-Baked Potatoes with Chili and Cheese
4 baking potatoes (1.33)
Extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons butter (about .25)
1/4 cup milk (.06)
1/4 cup sour cream (.22)
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, plus more for topping (1.75)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Total cost $5.11–plus cost of a little olive oil, salt, and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Scrub the potatoes, rub them with olive oil, and pat on Kosher salt. Place potatoes on baking sheet, and bake for 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
2. Split potatoes, and scoop most of the flesh into a medium-sized bowl. Add butter, milk, sour cream and cheese. Mash with a potato masher or a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Scoop filling back into potatoes. Top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. In the meantime, warm the chili in a saucepan over medium heat.
5. Garnish potato with chili and cheese before serving.