This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure statement for more details.
Publix has many of the makings of one of my favorite meals on sale this week! Looks like we’ll be having it next week as well. Mr. V will be pleased. Plus I can make an extra one for a family we need to take a meal to next week.
Publix mild or hot Italian sausage 2.49/lb
Ronzoni pasta buy 1 get 1 (which at Publix translates to 1/2 off)
Sargento shredded cheese 2/$4–I have a coupon for this from a recent newspaper insert
Ziti with Italian Sausage
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casings removed (2.49)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound dry ziti pasta (.69)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (1.20 with coupon)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage with celery and onion until sausage is evenly browned, about 5 to 10 minutes. Drain excess grease, and set aside.
- In another skillet over medium-low heat, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, salt, and oregano. Simmer while preparing pasta.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a 3 quart baking dish, layer ziti, sausage, mozzarella cheese, and sauce. Repeat layers, and top with grated Parmesan.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until browned and bubbly.