This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure statement for more details.
source: Julie Rae Powers via Flickr
As someone who is both Highly Sensitive and who deals with depression, I get off-kilter a lot. It’s easy for me to get consumed with people-pleasing rather than God-pleasing thoughts and to get angry at being how I am. I know God made me who I am for a reason … but I don’t always like it.
For example, when being Highly Sensitive means I am completely unable to stop myself from crying in public places. That’s just as wonderful at 33 as it was when I was 12.
I have a routine I stick to when it comes to managing my depression, and it occurred to me that perhaps the same thing is in order to handle these feelings of being inept and consumed by emotions. After a little episode today, I’m realizing these are the things that help center me. I would encourage you to think through your centering and comfort things so you can remember them easily in the future!
- Talking to my husband. In my opinion, it’s good marriage advice to marry your friend. Mr. V and I were friends for nearly a year before we ever started dating, and that has been really good for our long-term relationship. You won’t always feel lovey-dovey toward your spouse, but if he/she is something you like to hang out with, you can work through those times. Anyway, Mr. V is used to my crazy emotional state and can often talk me off a cliff. In college he called it “Mental Breakdown Tuesdays,” but I think I’ve become a little more solid than that. Maybe.
- Prayer. Especially focusing on praying for others, taking the limelight off myself. I still love the image-based prayer I talked about here.
- Physical warmth. Drinking coffee, wrapping myself in a blanket, cuddling with a kid.
- Writing. Obviously, I process a lot through writing. Maybe for you it’s another art form.
- Crochet. Crochet is another art form I love and it just helps me to focus elsewhere. I can’t think about much else when I am trying to follow a pattern. It also calms me.
- Reading. Something mindless.
- Oils. Y’all know I love my essential oils. Applying White Angelica, Peace & Calming, and Joy are all helpful to restoring some peace for me.
These are similar to ways I manage my depression but definitely not exactly. Do you find you have ways to deal with certain moods or times in your life?